Friday 14 February 2014

Alex's trip to Corrivalry - game three

Game three was Fighting Withdrawal against Laurence Donahue, and Kampgruppe Pieper. Laurence had a 1iC King Tiger, a King Tiger, 2 Ostwinds, 3 Pumas, 6 7.5cm halftracks and two platoons of 4 Panzer IVs. Yet again, I went defensive, as my Auto Attack list would still have defended, and I wanted my 90mm AA on the table to deal with some of those tanks.
 
The table at the start of the game

Panzer IVs advance cautiously through the woods, but one of them bogs down. And stays that way for about 4 turns.

The 1iC KT is to the right of the wood, the platoon is to the left.


I spring my ambush of the Cannon Platoon, who move up and destroy the Ostwinds, who were the only real threat to the left most objective

Some 155mm artillery bailed the platoon King Tiger in turn one, and destroyed it in turn two.


The Germans start to advance more aggressively now, they destroyed most of the 105mm artillery, but the commander pasted enough last man standing tests to withdraw on turn three as per the scenario.

The infantry and cannon platoon have doubled over from the left flank to reinforce the right flank.

Having killed 3 Stuarts, the platoon commander withdraws in turn 4, followed by the 90mm guns in turn 5

155mm artillery have at this point also taken out the 1iC King Tiger, and are working on Panzer IVs. I think I got Time on Target for every barrage with the 155mm this game.

Again, Panzer IVs take out 3 of the 4 Cannon platoon, but the fourth withdraws.

One platoon of Panzer IVs assaults the infantry, but are destroyed.

The second platoon coming along the back edge also try it, but are driven off, and the game ends.

6-1 win to me on. I really like KG Pieper, but thought Laurence played it (this game at least) a little too cautiously. The 90mm guns did a good job of dissuading him from coming down my left flank, and he was very unlucky not to get a platoon off me.

At the end of day one, I was ranked 38th out of 84, I was very happy. Off to the hotel to talk with 'Monocle' Mick Rood about the pros and cons of Hero Tankovy over a couple of drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment