Friday 27 June 2014

Sturm Uber Dunkirchen 2014

Sturm Uber Dunkirchen was the Reluctant Conscripts Early War competition for 2014. 34 players were in attendance (unfortunately we had several late drop outs, I think we were supposed to have 38 players). For this event, it was an opportunity to get my DAK force painted up, and I decided on the following list:

  Confident    Veteran  Schützenkompanie
Rifle Company
German Early-War
Infantry Company
PlatoonQtyUnitPoints
Headquarters
Schützenkompanie HQ  p.65
2
2
Cmd SMG team
Motorcycle & Sidecar
45
Combat Platoons
Schützen Platoon  p.65
1
1
1
1
6
4
Cmd SMG team
Kfz 15 field car
Light Mortar team
Anti-tank Rifle team
MG team
Kfz 70 truck
230
Schützen Platoon  p.65
1
1
1
1
6
4
Cmd SMG team
Kfz 15 field car
Light Mortar team
Anti-tank Rifle team
MG team
Kfz 70 truck
230
Divisional Support
Mittlere Panzer Platoon  p.63
2Panzer IV D300
Tank-hunter Platoon  p.87
4Panzerjäger I335
Anti-tank Gun Platoon  p.87
1
4
Cmd SMG team
3.7cm PaK36 gun
145
Heavy Panzerspäh Platoon  p.73
2Sd Kfz 231 (8-rad)95
Air Support  p.90
5Limited Air Support Ju 87B Stuka115
Company Points:1495
www.EasyArmy.comSource document: Hellfire and Back!

Unfortunately, I had a terrible weekend results wise, losing 4 out of 5 and finishing last. I still have a long way to go with understanding Early War, and am already planning for next year's event, with either a return for the DAK, or possibly a Finnish company from Rising Sun.


Game 1 Mike Klaka Hasty Attack

Mike had a French company, mostly consisting of Char-B1s, and despite my selection of AT assets, I was unable to stop his assaults.



























Game 2 Jonathan Deller Dust Up

Jonathan had brought some Italian tanks, in fact, nothing but Italian tanks and a Falco plane. Poor dice rolling aside, Jonathan lined up an assault against a lightly defended objective, and I was unable to get troops back to it in time. A more cautious approach from myself might have led to a closer match, and I really could have used some reserves.










Game 3 Martin Bourne Surrounded

Game three was against Martin, who had my second Italian opponent of the day with a large infantry company. Poor motivations and skills, but lots of guns to give my troops a headache. He got to defend, and the centre of the table was saturated with Italians. I did manage to claim a platoon or two before he was able to bring his superior numbers to bear.














Game 4 Steve Hazeldine Cauldron


Game four, the start of a new day, and I got to play one of my favourite opponents, Steve Hazeldine, always a fine fellow to enjoy a game with. Steve also had a large Italian infantry company, and although I got to defend this time, the game went a similar way to round three, with the superior numbers of the Italians eventually taking their toll on my small platoons.












Game 5 Chris Wardle Hold the Line


The last game of the weekend was against Chris Wardle and his Liechte Panzer company. This was the force I had planned on facing all weekend, and being the defender, I was able to keep my Panzerjagers and Pak 36s in ambush, and cause Chris some real problems, and eventually a bloody assault between infantry actually decided this game, which was my one win of the weekend.










As I said at the start of the post, I really struggled at this event, and that is a symptom of my general struggles with Early War. I have resolved to get more practice in with Early War, and Tommy has offered to play some games before next year's event to get me more into an Early War frame of mind. Lets hope it goes better next year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment