Saturday 15 February 2014

Alex's trip to Corrivalry - game four

Day Two. I would be playing John Hopwood and his Canadian Rifle Company in Hasty Attack. John is one of the best players in the country, and the only member of the Lancashire Hotpots I had not played in 5 years of Flames of War tournaments. Knowing one of John's lists included Breaching Groups (which would make him Auto Attack), I decided to try and defend, taking my 'B' list again. That was a mistake, as he also took his 'B' list, and ended up defending. A strategic bombardment could have really helped pin John's forces down.
 
John had 2 platoons of infantry, 6pdrs, Mattress launchers, M10 Achilles and several patrols of Universal Carriers.
 
We pick up the action after John has destroyed both my infantry platoons (who doubled) and Typhoons have taken out the Stuarts.

Things are not looking good for the Americans.

We get some reinforcements in the form of 90mm AA, hoping to protect the artillery from further excursions by the RAF

My best hope of getting some victory points and making a play for the objective was taking out the Mattress Launchers. Despite being ranged in on the platoon with both lots of artillery for the entire game, I only managed to kill one. 2+ firepower tests failed me in this game.

The Cannon platoon arrives, hoping to take out some Mattress Launchers

The Mattress Launchers take out a 155mm gun and a 90mm gun.

The 1iC runs for cover behind a building

The Cannon platoon moves up, but is unable to cause any damage. I must have a platoon in his half of the table from turn 6, so they were also keeping me in the game.

John starts moving his infantry up on my left flank

M10s arrive from ambush and gut the Cannon platoon

And his infantry come up and capture the bailed out vehicles. 6-1 to John.

This game was difficult. I made multiple mistakes in this game, that really took away my ability to fight. Doubling both my infantry platoons on turn one was hubris, I had become too confident in their abilities after day one, but they are still trained, and die in droves to mass firepower. My dice rolling was also atrocious, but that is a return to normal for me. I am looking forward to getting a rematch against him at one of the Sturm Uber events later in the year, and hopefully I can acquit myself better then.

No comments:

Post a Comment